Felicia Black
Felicia Black
South Africa 2011- 2012
I am a recent Belmont graduate (Class of 2011) and I am going back to South Africa. I first went to South Africa in the fall of my junior year at Belmont and I had so much fun I decided to apply for the Lumos award and have been lucky enough to go again! Check out my previous blog at http://coming2sa.blogspot.com/ I will also be updating that blog as I return to South Africa so check ‘em out! Read More About Felicia →

The Last Days of Freedom

Not sure if this is appropriate for a blog post but there have been requests so I will oblige J On Friday January 13 (Friday the 13th no less), Chris asked me to marry him. I was completely shocked and overwhelmed but said yes none the less.

He asked Friday morning as we were trying to decide what to do that day. He had given me a little stuffed bunny when I got back to the States and I was playing with it when I noticed something shiny on one of its ear. I was so surprised! I remember saying what? Over and over again because I was so surprised.  But yeah that’s it. Simple and cute and the ring is gorgeous (though the pictures don’t do it justice). I’m so excited. I have to plan a wedding!

We ended up going into Cape Town on Friday to finish up some shopping. We went to the Waterfront and despite the rainy weather walked to Green Market Square. We ate at a 24 hour Indian restaurant on Long Street which if you ever get the chance is amazing. Cheap and good food and Indian food my favourite.

Saturday was an interesting day. We had to check out of our lovely guest house with its beautiful views so we spent most of the morning packing up. Then we went to Journey’s End to do some more packing because Chris needed to take some stuff back for me (I’m dreading having to pack up my life here).  We also met some of my new housemates before walking up to Mont Blanc to see Tilda. She was so excited to see me which was nice and even more excited when she found that I was engaged.

After that we had drive to Cape Town to drop off the car. I really wish I knew how to drive a stick shift then we would have had the car later but it was alright because we were able to take a bus from the airport into Cape Town. We dropped off Chris’ luggage at the airport. Then we went to Green Square Market again to get me some pants but they were closing down. L Then we went to the Royale Eatery which is this amazing burger place in Cape Town. I’ve been several times and I love it every single time. I also got a milkshake which was delicious.

We then made the foolish decision to climb up Table Mountain. Foolish because it was late around 5:30 and we didn’t start climbing the mountain until 6. Also it was supposed to take three hours to climb the mountain, mind you we did it in one and half but still it starts getting dark now around 8 which meant that by the time we got up the mountain it was getting dark. I was panicking because I have been stuck on Table Mountain before and I also knew that they shut the cable car down for wind and it was windy. At several points, I was afraid of being blown off the mountain. Luckily none of that happened and even though we were the last ones off the mountain, we at least got off the mountain and Chris made his flight no problem. So it all worked out. It was just scary at the time. Not something I would recommend. Hike Table Mountain in the morning/early afternoon. Give yourself plenty of time. You don’t want to be climbing down in the dark.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *