RiTara Williams
RiTara Williams
South Africa 2014 - 2015
My name is RiTara Williams and I will be working at an internship in Cape Town, South Africa. I will be working with African Impact and The Happy Africa Foundation. Read More About RiTara →


It is so crazy how so much can happen in one week!

First things first, the flight here was nothing less than a journey. This is the second time I have made the 30 hour journey to South Africa but that is something I will never get used to.

Over packing is a real thing!

When I tried to check my 70+ pound I was informed that it would be an extra $400 to check my bag; however, if I bought another bag I would be able to check both bags for free. So I frantically ran to the convenient airport shop, that happened to sell luggage, and bought another bag to stuff all of my heavier items in. When that fiasco was finally over I was exhausted, but I was off on my adventure.

When I landed I was relieved to be greeted by some familiar faces but I was so tired.


Now let’s talk about my first week here.

I thought I escaped the cold weather but I was very wrong! From Monday to Thursday it was cold and raining! When I walked into the preschool I worked in in the morning, I could still see my breath when I breathed. All of the children were bundled up in their winter jackets and scarves sitting at their tables. Sometimes in life you see something that puts your problems into perspective and that was one of them for me. I kept thinking how if this were the States I would be complaining throughout the day or school would be cancelled. The sun finally came out on my first day at the office. It was a half day so there wasn’t much to do but I enjoyed it.


Friday night to Saturday night felt like I ran a marathon. Within this marathon I managed to get my cell phone pick-pocketed (it was actually in my zipped purse), got sea sick, and felt like I was going to die via shark attack. To explain, I thought it would be a good idea to go “out on the town” the night before I went shark cage diving. I was having fun dancing with my new housemates until I realized my phone was no long in my sling purse that was in front of me the whole time. Needless to say, my night was ruined from that point on and I decided to come home (at 2am) with one of my housemates. I fell asleep at some point but I was suddenly awaken by the doorbell ringing repeatedly. I thought the rest of my housemates were lock out but a quick look at my iPod made me realized the person ringing the doorbell was there to pick myself and the other girl up for shark cage diving. In a panic I told the bus driving we would be out in a bit and we frantically threw clothes on and ran out of the door. In our panic, I forgot to grab my swimsuit and the other girl forgot clothes to change into after the dive. Even though I became instantly sea sick on the boat, seeing sharks coming at you that close in the water is an experience most will never get to see.


My first week has been so full of so many emotions but I am having great time here! I would post picture but unfortunately those are on my phone I no longer have. I will start to post pictures the moment I can!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *